Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hey..the heatwave hurt my Fuchsias..will they come back?

I have a few of them hanging...not to much sun either and plenty of water but it got up to 116 .....my biggest beauty was hit hard by it.


Now she's just a dried up sorry sap of a memory! If I clip it back will it come back next year...not sure what to do..All the leave where hit, bloom too! : (





Any experts out there?





Thanks


SmileyCat : )

Hey..the heatwave hurt my Fuchsias..will they come back?
So sorry to hear!





Typically, fuchsias are a one season plant but it sounds like maybe you've had them a while? If the plant wasn't too dried out, it may come back with a steady stream of ideal conditions (like we can control that!). My fuchsias (I live in CT) have not handled our hot weather well and have stopped blooming, but were watered regularly and are pushing new green growth, so I expect them to flower again soon.





Not sure where you live, but if you season still has a few months to go, it would be worth it to clip back the dead foliage and see if you start getting new growth (should occur within a week or so). They are nothing but compost anyway, so it's worth a try.





I live in an area that grows fuchsias as a summer annual, so I am not sure I am speaking to your conditions, but hope I offered some help
Reply:That much heat probably cooked the whole plant, but you can try cutting back and hope for the best...Keep watering and if possible move to a shady place, Fuchsias should always be kept out of direct sunlight, they grow best in a shady nook...


No comments:

Post a Comment